Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ebay oddity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Ebay oddity


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Ebay oddity

    I had heard a number of rumours that at one point Yamaha had a license agreement with Altec. Never saw any evidence.

    Then there is this...

    Yamaha JA-2151, 1 inch mid-hi driver + exp horn pair | eBay
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ebay oddity

    Interesting find. Made in Japan. The casting is a little different, along with the horn mounting holes. The driver looks like a 9 hundred series missing a cover. Never saw this before...or heard of it for that matter.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ebay oddity

    I've heard that Altec actually built some drivers for Yamaha, but until you mentioned it, I don't think I'd heard of a license agreement.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Ebay oddity


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Ebay oddity

    I don't think Altec had anything to do with those IMHO. I think they are just copies albeit smaller ones as well.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Ebay oddity

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I don't think Altec had anything to do with those IMHO. I think they are just copies albeit smaller ones as well.
    Agreed, the kustom/CV horn is much closer to being a facsimile.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Ebay oddity


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Ebay oddity

    Yes it looks more like the CV with bolt on instead...but I saw a Japanese web page talking about using Altec diaphragms in a Yammy driver...of course I can't find it again.

    Close copies may be the answer...OTOH, at Jammin' Jersey is a set of cast radials theory claim as 329 copies which aren't...but have Altec 3 bolt pattern.

    I would really like to know about that rumour one way or the other.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.